[TowerTalk] true north

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] true north
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:23:47 -0500
Hi Gang,

I guess this has true North thing has gotten out of hand again and now is
in the joke stage. I am wearing out my delete key but thought I'd give it
one last shot.

Several years ago when the late N6RJ, Jim Rafferty (SK) was visiting here,
we discussed that very subject of finding North. He said a guy in Los
Angeles called Ham Radio Outlet and said "how do I find North? The North
Star isn't visible through the smog"

Jim proceeded to tell him how in high school physics they magnetized a
piece of steel and placed it in a bucket of water and the needle pointed
North. A few hours later the guy called back and said, "Gee that compass
works in the bucket works great to find North. However, I have a problem.
How do I get the bucket up to the top of the tower?"

73,

Joe,  W1JR