[TowerTalk] Fact finding Mission....

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fact finding Mission....
From: uckerman@ns.computer.net (Steve Uckerman)
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 15:27:43 -0500
After years of apartment dwelling, my wife and I have recently purchased
a home near Fishkill, NY. Naturally, I am planning my first real attempt
at my own tower next summer (I recently upgraded and would love to
exercise the band selector knobs on the Collins!). I have slightly less
than 1/2 an acre of land with neighbors.

The US Tower TX series looks attractive in that it fits my antenna
requirements, appears to be safe for our weather conditions (75 MPH
winds, within 100 miles of a coastline) and being a crankup, neighbor
friendly.
(The TX series is advertised as 18 sq.ft. of antenna at 50MPH, and the
factory says no problem with 9 sq.ft. at 75 MPH).
Because of height restrictions (the regulations say no more than 20ft
above the roof line), 40 ft might be my limit (I do plan to challenge
this).
With this in mind, I have decided on a 3 element triband quad as an
antenna (have not decided on AntennaMart or Cubex). Although a Cushcraft
X7  would be nice, I don't believe I would see it's maximum performance
from a yagi with only 40ft of height.
I've also thought of getting the tx-455 (55ft.) tower and only using it
at 40 feet. It would appear that since the structure is not at full
extension, I might increase my safety margin. And should I win a
variance to go to 55ft (or move, whichever comes first !!) I'm all set
to go.

I am asking for advice on this install. Any and all comments are greatly
appreciated (I'd like to plan this correctly from the start). Thanks in
advance.

Steve Uckerman, N2JXL
uckerman@ns.computer.net