[TowerTalk] coax connectors & penetrox et. al.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coax connectors & penetrox et. al.
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:37:48 -0700

These (attached message below) are pretty good application
instructions for connector anti corrosion grease.  But I would
NOT consider using any grease in an RF connector that is intended
for any of the following purposes:

1.  Improve conductivity for clamped connections between
    dissimilar materials.

2.  Improve conductivity for clamped connections between similar
    materials.

In general avoid any grease that has any filler solids content
particularly if the filler is conductive (copper, zinc, aluminum,
carbon, stainless steel).  This lets out all of the various
flavors of Noalox, etc.

I would also not use any grease based on aromatic petroleum
products.  Use a good silicone based grease.

Do not worry about the grease being a non-conductive dielectric.
That is exactly what you want it to be.  Applying it to the metal
mating surfaces of a contact will not either improve or degrade
the quality of the connection.  That is a separate issue.  The
connection should be clean and shiny and mechanically sound
before application of the grease.  It is the job of the grease to
keep it that way for long time periods.

Where I work we have evaluated a number of greases for RF
connectors in fairly severe environments.  We have RF systems in
atmospheres that are FAR more severe than anyone has anywhere
near their home.  If you did live at some of our repeater sites,
you could expect your car to completely dissolve in your driveway
in about 18 months leaving behind only the tires and rubber belts
and hoses.  We have had towers, antennas, and metal equipment
shelters do exactly that.

Most of the silicone based greases rated for wide temperature
extremes will work OK.  But by far the best for the purpose is
"Dow Corning Silicone High Vacuum Grease".  That is its actual
title.  It is not one of the numbered greases from Dow (DC-111,
etc.).  One tube of this stuff costs less than $20 and will last
you way past your lifetime.  You can pass it down to your Ham
children in your will.

73, Eric  N7CL