[TowerTalk] C4 Delivered on Kauai

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C4 Delivered on Kauai
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:03:24 -1000
Aloha,

UPS brought the C4 just before a cheese sandwich this
noon.

After sandwich,  unpacked all into neat little stacks;  each
of the 8 elements laid out in order to soon be riveted
together,  with the 40 meter element to be last.  Have
of course,  left all the bundles taped together as packed
by the Force 12 folks.  Only one piece seems to not
have a home:  an aluminum tube,  36" long, 5/8" D,
with a single 1/8" hole directly through the center of
the tube;  and a 6 inch piece of insulating "plastic"
sticks out of each end.  Each piece of plastic has
two 1/8"D holes drilled through,  one 1" from the
outer end,  and a second 3" from the outer end,
the piece,  altogether 48" long appears to be
exactly symmetrical.  Suppose it will become
obvious somewhere along the assembly process
where this piece fits in,  hi.

I now plan to build this thing on the tower,  with
the tower laid down as far as I can get the MA-
550 to lay over and not run into too  much green
menace about the place!  May  have to do quite
a bit of tree trimming,  as things have gotten a bit
over grown since it was last laid down,  hi.

Appears,  once I get the Mosley off,  I can start
right at the boom center section mounted to
the top of the MA-550,  then add boom sections,
with the assembled elements attached one by
one.  That way will never have to heft around
the completely assembled antenna.  Can also
raise the  550's main  tubular mast a bit higher
as each section is added from below,  keeping
most of the work near step ladder top level,
if I am thinking about this correctly,  hi.  The
affair cannot rotate with the cable assembly
attached to the tower lowering fixture,  so that
should not be a problem (I hope!),  as it becomes
top heavy.

Notice the instructions  mention painting the entire
antenna.  Has anyone done this,  and if so,  with
what?  Krylon clear coat,  or some such?  Maybe
sky blue,  or green?

Will see how long it takes to get this guy going!
And thank you to the several who have offered
useful advise on putting the C4 together.  Nice
to have input from those who have been there,
and done that.

73,  Jim,  KH7M