[TowerTalk] mast strength.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast strength.
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:14:19 -0800

Dick, W5AA wrote:

> SNIP
> " Wheatland cbw rn 1176  cbw rm 1504  astm A53 -f- gra 40  A 21 foo
> 32698 DI."    This has an outside  Diameter of  one and three quarter
> inches.

SNIP

I'll take a guess at what it means.

All of the stuff before "astm" is probably the manufacturers nomenclature.
I'd guess that the manufacturers name is Wheatland.

The pipe was manufactured in accordance with the ASTM A53 spec, probably
Rev F, Grade A, Schedule 40 wall thickness.

The last stuff is kind of a mystery to me. It might mean a 21' length and
a manufacturing date of Mar 26 1998 at a plant designated DI. Not very
sure about this.

ASTM A53 Grade A tells us it is either seamless or has an electric welded
seam. only a visual look at it would confirm which one. It doesn't matter
as both have the same yield strength of 30,000 psi in my old Jorgensen
steel manual. If it was a grade B material, the yield strength would be
35,000 psi. So, its not quite as strong as a good 6000 series aluminum.

The OD is probably not 1 3/4" but 1.90" which makes more sense with the
original comment about it just fitting the Rohn TB3 bearing.Wall thickness
would be .145" and it would be 1 1/2" nominal pipe size.

Anyway, that's what my crystal ball sez.

--
73, Kurt

K7NV "That's K7 "Nevada" (ex - NI6W)

YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/