[TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings
From: DAVED@ctilidar.com (Dave D'Epagnier)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:53:47 -0700
Denny,
you might want to try making your own lanyard with  locking carabiners
and your favorite length of Perlon rope or nylon webbing. The Perlon or
webbing is a lot stronger and abrasion resistant than the dated
interwoven "gold line" rope shown in the recent web site picture of the
two safety hooks. The carabiner is more easily opened with gloves on due
to its larger gate. The gate, when locked is extremely safe. The rope
can be secured to the carabiners with "water knots" (a very secure knot
used by climbers). This arrangement also lends itself to easy
replacement of the rope on a yearly basis for only a few dollars. With
other lanyards, you have to replace the whole works, or trust the same
rope year after year. These items can be purchased at mountaineering
stores. This is my personal preference and makes me feel safer. I'm sure
others prefer the lanyard with clips.

--Dave
K0QE