[TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings
From: shane@eatel.net (Shane Dugas)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 05:48:03 -0600 (CST)
At 01:53 PM 2/12/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Denny,
>you might want to try making your own lanyard with  locking carabiners
>and your favorite length of Perlon rope or nylon webbing. The Perlon or
>webbing is a lot stronger and abrasion resistant than the dated
>interwoven "gold line" rope shown in the recent web site picture of the
>two safety hooks. The carabiner is more easily opened with gloves on due
>to its larger gate. The gate, when locked is extremely safe. The rope
>can be secured to the carabiners with "water knots" (a very secure knot
>used by climbers). This arrangement also lends itself to easy
>replacement of the rope on a yearly basis for only a few dollars. With
>other lanyards, you have to replace the whole works, or trust the same
>rope year after year. These items can be purchased at mountaineering
>stores. This is my personal preference and makes me feel safer. I'm sure
>others prefer the lanyard with clips.
>
>--Dave
>K0QE

Just to add a little.  On the average, nylon webbing costs about 10 cents a
foot. You can make a lanyard with about 20Ft. max.  When tied with a water
knot, looped, and doubled (as in this application) it is rated at 12,000lbs
tensle strentgh.

also,  Carabiners are definately the way to go if you don't like the
cumbersome safty hooks.  If you must use the interwoven rope, they can still
be adapted.  They are made to be easily operated by firefighters and
rescuers wearing much thicker gloves than any of you could possilbly use on
a tower.

For those of you who don't feel comfortable with your knot tying ability
there are utility straps that suit this purpose even better.  There made of
even tougher webbing and have sewn in D-rings on each end to attach a
carabiner to.  Also rated at over 10,000lbs, this is my choice of equipment.
I can size the belt to place me a comfortalbe distance from the tower and I
can easily remove the carabiner with a gloved hand.  If you would like to
see one, stop by your local fire department and I'm sure they would be happy
to show you an adjustable utility strap.

just my thoughts

KK5LC
Shane Dugas
Prairieville, LA