[TowerTalk] Finding the height of trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Finding the height of trees
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:44:29 -0400
Several years ago, W9DNI and I applied our collective genius to
determining whether a big dead oak, when felled, would hit the porch of
his QTH. With the use of most of the methods in the several replies to
your query, we decided we were safe.
Later, when the dead tree was felled by an expert, the porch was
untouched. Great, right?
Actually, the expert dropped it right where he aimed it - - good thing
too, since when measured on the ground, it was a  bit longer than we
calculated - woulda' hit the porch if it wasn't dropped perfectly.
Moral? cut the tree down and measure it with a tape!
(Works every time, assuming there were two trees of the same height to
start)
OK, OK John - use any of the excellent ideas but this one! We understand!
Press, N8UG

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:25:57 -0500 "WA9ALS - John"
<jfleming@shelbynet.net> writes:

>There has to be some little "rule of thumb" to estimate the height of
>trees - any help?  I sorta remember some things about 30-60 right
>triangles etc, but for example, I've heard the Boy Scouts have some
>neat
>little trick to get an easy estimate.  Anyone have a suggestion?
>Simple, pleez!  Tnx!
>WA9ALS - John
>jfleming@shelbynet.net
>Tower Project Guestbook
>http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/towerproject
>Amateur Homepage http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/amstart.htm
>

>--

Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
http://www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE bargain page
Our 22nd year!