[TowerTalk] Universal used tower opinions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universal used tower opinions
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 18:06:42 -0500
I have seen a Universal HD21-50 aluminum tower for sale for $800,
including thrust bearing and rotor plate (no base).  Really close -
could go get it in my pickup.  The story - It had been up for about a
year without antennas.  Then the neighbors complained, and they took it
down.  It's been stored in a garage.  The bolts were lying on the garage
floor, and hopefully they're all there.  They have a little rust.  The
welds all look OK except the very last step at the bottom of the base
section.  It was "broken"  or "bent" or something - Looks like it was
too long and had to be bent to fit inside the triangle of the legs.
They paid a welder to weld it to the leg.  The weld looks like all the
others, but that one step is a little bent, looking a little too long.
They say they called Universal, and they told them not to worry about
it.  Should I be skittish about this, or snap up the good deal??  (It'll
probably be my first and last tower, so I really want it right!)

Please reply via direct email or guestbook on tower page below.  TNX
WA9ALS - John
jfleming@shelbynet.net
Tower Project Guestbook
http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/towerproject.htm