[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Self Supporting Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Self Supporting Tower
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 02:41:18 -0700
Wow, Bob! With just 175 lbs of wind load you would have exceeded the
Rohn specs for 45G, and thats neglecting the additional wind load on the
side of the tower. This corresponds to 7 sqft of wind load at 80 mph. If you
figure that the tower is worth another 2 sqft/section (this is a guess), then
at 80 MPH, the load margin left over the antennas is only 13 lbs of wind
load or 1/2 sqft.

If you figure that your installation was probably 13 sqft of wind load, then
it was probably seeing overturning forces that were 2.8 times the manufactures
ratings when the winds got up to 80 MPH.

Guess they don't want any lawsuits at Rohn.

73 de Mike, W4EF............