[TowerTalk] Navaho Vario Climbing belt

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Navaho Vario Climbing belt
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 20:24:58 EDT
In a message dated 99-05-01 00:09:05 EDT, jfleming@shelbynet.net writes:

> This was recommended to me for amateur radio tower climbing.

      By whom? Amateurs? Professionals? Dealer?

>       John
>       Thanks for emailing Petzl.  Our web page only features our sport
>       climbing equipment and headlamps unfortunately.  This harness is
>  from
>       our work and rescue line.  Although I am not exactly sure what
>       "amateur radio tower climbing" is, I can tell you that this harness is
>       designed only for work positioning and not fall arrest.  Work
>       requirements for fall arrest harnesses dictate that these harnesses
>  be full body harnesses.  If you have any questions pleae do not
>  hesitate  to contact me.
>       Thank You
>       Koby Crooks
>       Petzl America
>       kcrooks@petzl.com

      This question comes up regularly. As a tower professional and advisor
to hams, my recommendation is to get safety equipment designed for the
intended  application. If you're going to go mountain climbing - get a
climbing harness; if you're going to be working on a tower - get a tower
harness. The reasons are manyfold. Previous discussions are in the archives
or you can get a reprint of my 3-part series on safety equipment from my "Up
The Tower" column in CQ Contest magazine (free for an SASE to Tower Tech, Box
572, Woodinville, WA, 98072).

     As mentioned in a previous post, as an amateur you're not required to be
OSHA compliant. But guess what? Being compliant is a GOOD IDEA. It's cheap
insurance.

     I took a look at the Navaho Vario and it doen't have side waist D-rings
which are used to clip your postioning/work lanyard to. The one D-ring at
your belly button will probably work but IMO is not as good as two for
keeping everything straight. The single D-ring is intended for times when you
may be sitting in the body belt like an arborist would use.

     The other thing I noticed was that the price was $160.00. That's pretty
expensive for a non-fall arrest harness Class 1 body belt. Champion Radio
Products has the full fall arrest harness for $89.95. Of course it's OSHA
compliant also.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products