[TowerTalk] Another Phillystran question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another Phillystran question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:13:55 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-29 11:21:51 EDT, darrell.earnshaw@sap-ag.de writes:

>  Are there special end sleeves for Phillystran preformed grips? I have
>  just installed six of them from a kit supplied by Texas Towers, but they
>  came with 6 black tie-wraps, which are used to prevent unravelling.

       The end sleeves are for ice damage prevention to the Preformed grips
and are only used on steel cable applications. The tie wraps are a reasonable
Phillystran alternative. For *real icy* installations, the factory recommends
putting a hose clamp at the end of each grip. This'll do a great job and the
ice will slide on by it. An alternative is to use a cable clip or clamp on
the end. I'd use the hose clamp method myself.

      The reason there is no end sleeve for Phillystran is that the
Phillystran is compressible and the normal end sleeve will work loose. For
steel applications, you tap the sleeve on and it stays there.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC