[TowerTalk] To pin or not

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To pin or not
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:30:19 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-06 09:16:46 EDT, jackcolson@x-press.net writes:

> I'm getting ready to install a 4130 mast in a Yaesu G-800 rotator.  Is
>  it advisable to pin the mast through the rotator's aluminum clam shell
>  clamps?  The antenna has 14 + square feet of wind load.

       What's the weight and turning radius of your proposed antenna? The
G-800 is a pretty medium duty rotator and 14+ sq.ft. may exceed its capacity.

     In answer to your question, I don't recommend pinning the mast. First of
all, drilling your 4130 will be a pretty tough job. That's the first reason
NOT to do it.

     Second is that when you take a big gust of wind, not having the mast
pinned will allow the mast to rotate slightly. If it's pinned, what you find
out is what the next weak link in the system is - and it's usually the gear
train. It's much easier and cheaper to recalibrate the antennas occasionally
than it is to swap and repair rotators.

      As you're probably aware, the Yaesu mast clamps will crack at the
slightest provocation. Be sure to follow their instructions.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC