[TowerTalk] To pin or not

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To pin or not
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:35:48 -0000
I also pin the mast which holds a TH7 and Cushcraft 402CD turned
by a T2X. Been up there almost 10 years. A few years ago, while
up on the tower, I noted the bolt was cracked in half! I forget the
exact alloy, but it was a high strength steel with some Beryllium in
it. I did replace it with another bolt, and so far, it's still in one piece,
last I checked.

Regarding drilling, I first tried with a standard bit - wouldn't dent the
stuff. Then, bought a Cobalt tipped bit labelled "for hardened metals
including stainless steel." With some cutting oil, went thru like
butter.
73 Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com