[TowerTalk] To pin or not

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To pin or not
From: clewis@ro.com (Chuck Lewis)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:49:37 -0500
But, Steve, Yaesu's instructions are very explicit in telling us to pin with
the bolt provided! When I, as a believer in non-pinning, called Yaesu's tech
support, I was told I must pin. Actually, considering that the 800SD(X) has
no brake, this might be the proper thing to do. We can either crank the hell
out of the clamps with no pin, and risk cracking them, or snug-em up gently
per Yaesu's directions and pin. Wind blown rotation in the case of these
rotators will just change its azimuth since there's no brake ("braking
torque" is a result of gear-reduction and friction). With no brake, there
should be less risk of gear failure. So...I pinned. When the wind blows it
around, I just turn it back where it belongs. Just trying to follow the
'Prime Directive' ;>).

Chuck, N4NM