[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 06:46:54 -0600

On Mon, 01 Jan 2001  LYN Williams <designserv@ipass.net> writes:
> Gary McDuffie, Sr. wrote:
>
> > > Is this something that is done often and I've never heard of?
> >
> Gary,
>
> I would never have the nerve to do it. I've erected more than a
> dozen guyed towers (up to 200 feet tall) without a failure, and I
wouldn't
> consider using screw anchors in dirt. I have seen screw anchors fail
> in towers erected by others. One of them failed while a climber was
> on the tower. He survived the tower crashing into a tree, but was hurt
> badly.
>
> Lyn, W4WDN

Lyn,  you neglected to indicate the FAILURE  MODE.

Did the SHAFT corrode?  If so,  how would a concrete
anchor be less susceptible?

Or did the anchor merely pull out?  If so, then perhaps
the soil was too loose or the anchor had too small a
plate or too short a shaft.  Proper size selection IS
important!

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.