[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 16:25:01 -0800
> With an achor properly protected in concrete, I think corrosion would
> be retarded as compared to an anchor in direct contact with soil.
>
> Lyn, W4WDN

Unless the concrete protects the anchor clear to the
surface, I think the
corrosion danger is still there.

W7MB once had some cables running up the side of his wood
pole that formed
a track to raise and lower various antennas.  The cables
were anchored to
the ground with some 4 foot long, 6 inch diameter (like Rohn
GAS604's)
screw anchors.  The cables kept working loose so finally
George dug one
out of the ground and discovered there was no plate on it
anymore !  It
was completely rusted and corroded off and the shaft (what
was left of it
near the plate) was about as big as a pencil.  I kept this
corroded anchor
and I can put a picture of it on my web page, if anybody
want to see it.
It will (or should) scare hell out of you.  There must be a
good way to
non-destructively test an earth anchor in place to see how
much of it has
disappeared due to rust and/or corrosion.  If you know a way
to do it,
please share it with the rest of us.

Stan
w7ni@teleport.com