[TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi
From: Bob.Finger@DynCorp.com (Finger, Bob)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:19:42 -0500
Jim:  W6AM was a radio distributor (salesman), not a rich lawyer.  He
purchased the Rhombic farm from a commercial radio entity (I think RCA), and
yes rhombics were in place.  Over the years the property was subdivided and
the rhombic farm became smaller.  Don Wallace, W6AM was known to climb his
100 foot + cedar poles to work on his rhombics when he was well into his
80's.  Don was a champion high speed cw op, and had a real computer for cw
in between his ears.  If you want a real history get Jan Perkin's book on
Don "The W6AM Story".  It is full of photos and stories that document the
history of one of the ham fraternities finest examples. This volume has a
place of honor on my bookshelf, and it is fun to read again and again.  I am
also the proud owner of a W6AM qsl card from an early 70's chat we had on cw
while Don was driving in LA.  He loved to operate cw while mobile.   May Don
rest in peace, but I'm sure he is still listening to our cw from somewhere
up there.  73 W9GE