[TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi
From: b_bradfield@yahoo.com (Brad Bradfield)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:36:18 -0800 (PST)
--- "Finger, Bob" <Bob.Finger@DynCorp.com> wrote:
> Jim:  W6AM was a radio distributor (salesman), not a rich lawyer.  He
> purchased the Rhombic farm from a commercial radio entity (I think
> RCA), and
> yes rhombics were in place.

Don's antenna farm originally belonged to Press Wireless.  He bought it
from them in the 40's (I think) when they no longer used it.  While an
antenna farm was already existing when he bought it, he extensively
rebuilt and added to it over the years.  Towards the end, I suspect
there weren't many of the original Press Wireless antennas left.  Don
liked tall rhombics, and would butt splice two poles together to get
more height.

Among others, Don was a distributor for E.F. Johnson.  There's a pretty
famous picture from the front cover of CQ (I think) showing Don sitting
in the front seat of his convertible with the top down.  In the car
were a KWM-2 and a bug at arms length.  He had a kilowatt in the trunk.
 In the pre-SSB days, he also ran pretty significant mobile power on
AM.

Don was a good operator, and certainly no dummy, but he was pretty
windy too.

73,

Brad, W5CGH