[TowerTalk] G5RV or Dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G5RV or Dipoles
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:50:33 -0800
Ted,

I agree with the recommendations to go with two dipoles on a common feed
point. I have two 40/80 inverted vees like this, apex @ 45', one for each
radio, and they work great on just about anything west of the continental
divide. The vee's are regularly 20+ db louder on west coast signals than my
verticals. I used to run JA's on 40 with one because it was better than my
phased verts broadside to JA. The qth is 100' above the valley floor going
to JA, so it's probably cheating. The 40m 4 square is much better now due
to the terrific noise rejection. But I've kept the vees because they are so
simple and useful.

I found that you only need to get the wires about 40-50 degress apart from
one another to get them to tune properly, so don't worry a bunch if you
can't get them at right angles to each other. Cut'em long and prune them
in.

Have fun

73, Kurt, K7NV