[TowerTalk] Marking Coax Cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Marking Coax Cables
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:06:35 EST
In a message dated 2/2/01 5:36:21 AM Pacific Standard Time, k3nd@yahoo.com
writes:

> I recently read that a good way to mark coax cables
>  (think it was at W4AN's station) used different
>  colored tape applied to the cables to show the
>  different bands, etc.  I've been looking but have yet
>  to find a "set" of tape with more than three colors.
>  Since one of the colors was black, there were only two
>  colors available to use on black coax!  It would be
>  nice to find a set with nine colors like the resistor
>  color code.  Anyone ever run across something like
>  this?

    Black, eh? You're right - not very helpful.

    Actually if you have 3 different colors - you have LOTS of possibilities.
When doing commercial tower work and installing up to 10 feedlines, you've
got to keep them all straight so we just used different combinations i.e.

red
yellow
blue
red-red
yellow -yellow
blue-blue
red-yellow
red-blue
blue-yellow
red-blue-yellow
red-red-blue
red-red-yellow
etc.

    Actually even if you only have 2 colors you  get

red
blue
red-blue
red-red
blue-blue
red-red-red
red-red-blue
etc.

    Just be sure to write everything down in your antenna/tower notebook.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech