[TowerTalk] re: quad

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: quad
From: nt6b-vk7lm@dreamsoft.com (Lonnie (NT6B))
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:34:24 -0800
Hi Tom and the group...only in part Tom...You talk about the
Moonraker...well take a minute......the original Laser (Their spelling) was
introduced by Wilson Electronics Corp. back in the 70's and it was a Quad
reflector Yagi driven both vertically and horizontally with 5 elements in
each plane and that wasn't counting the reflector...the antenna was gamma
matched for both driven elements....The Super Laser 500 was basically the
same design but on a 38.4 foot boom.  It also was a  Laser Quad reflected
antenna but it had 7 yagi elements in each plane and they called it the 16
element Laser Beam.

The Moonraker antenna was a small 4 element array (they called it a 8
element) similar to other designs but it used all quad elements.  If you
will recall the Moonraker used insulators to insulate the wires from the
aluminum elements on all 4 vertical and horizontal elements. Wilson's 4
element design that copied the Moonraker was Quad reflected and again Yagi
driven and directed elements, both vertical and horizontal an it was called
the Wilson 8 element Shooting Star.  Most all Wilson designs incorporated a
Quad type reflector with varying designs of Yagi elements.  Wilson used
tapered fiberglass inserts for the reflectors in order to insulate the
reflector as well.  I still have their catalogue from the 70's with
original drawings if anyone is interested....BTW....Wilsons drawings carry
a date of 7-1-76....Interesting!

Their (Wilsons) antennas were called Quad-Yagi antennas in their
catalogue.....FYI....

73's....Lonnie  (NT6B)