[TowerTalk] Recent Cushcraft discussion.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Recent Cushcraft discussion.
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:03:24 -0500
HI Bruce,

> I was busy during the recent discussion on the Cushcraft antennas,
> and wanted to pass on my good experience with Cushcraft.

I'm glad that you had a good experience.

> I called Cushcraft, and asked to speak to someone that handles there
> Amateur Radio line. I was connected with Ed Hammand.

He personally (and his attitude) was the source of MANY of my Cushcraft
problems.

> > PS. I think a lot of the response people get from dealers is tied
> directly to the way they are approached. This is the way life is. We
> are all just people, and have our good days and bad.

I agree that how you approach the problem is often tied to the results.
However, you are basing your comments on one experience.  I based my
comments on 15 + years of dealing with them and building about 10 of their
10, 15 & 20 monobanders.  Many others on this reflector have dealt with
Cushcraft for many years before arriving at their dissatisfied conclusions.
Many Cushcraft dealers have the same opinion of dealing with Cushcraft  -
they hate it!  We haven't even discussed the problem of parts billing fraud
by Cushcraft - a subject that I won't get into here.

Bottom line:  Be very careful about making generalizations about a problem
situation based on limited experience.

BTW, have you considered the idea that one of the reasons  you had a good
experience with Mr. Hammand is that others like myself have taken the time
and made the effort to give the company A LOT of grief over their bad
attitude, poorly machined parts, missing items etc?

Perhaps Mr. Hammand has gotten an earful from up-above as well as from us
directly and has realized it is better to give good service going forward
than to give bad attitude and reap the mutually unpleasant results.

One of the very valuable functions of a public reflector is that it allows
the users to share information and experiences - good and bad.
A vendor might be able to deny their shortcomings and problems to each of us
in a telephone call, but when MANY people complain universally about the
same company, there is no question anymore of a serious problem and a breach
of professional responsibility.

If I were Mr. Hammand and Cushcraft, I would not want to see my name appear
often next to complaints and problems, and be personally embarrassed.
Likewise, a  reflector also gives the other party a chance to respond
publicly and clear up any misunderstandings or resolve any problems -
definitely a GOOD thing for all.

Cushcraft and Mr. Hammand are you listening?  Care to respond?

Bob KQ2M