[TowerTalk] Re: Fiberglass Guy Rod

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Fiberglass Guy Rod
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:35:08 -0500
That probably would have been a good idea to do that, but I think it'll be
fairly obvious from a visual inspection when it starts to get questionable.
When I start to see the outside fibers fraying, I'll probably take one down
for a closer inspection.  I think I've got about 100 percent safety factor
built into my guys, so I think I'm pretty safe using this approach.

73, Ty K3MM

                    KI7WX@aol.com

                    Sent by:                    To:
<towertalk@contesting.com>
                    owner-towertalk@cont        cc:

                    esting.com                  Subject:     RE: [TowerTalk]
Re: Fiberglass Guy
                                                Rod

                    02/24/2001 01:43 PM

This might be a TT archive issue, but what are you fellows with the
fiberglass rod material doing about long term testing of this stuff as a
guying material?

If I were using a fairly novel guy material, I'd have cut multiple lengths
from a couple spots on the spool and left them in tension outside near my
tower.  Every few years I'd take one for testing to see how it compares to
when it was new.

I just want to know because I used Philly 6700i on my current towers and it
wasn't exactly cheap. By the time I'm ready to put up more towers, Ty's
Polygon rod will probably have 20 years on it, and if it's still FB I'll
probably use it.

Cheers,

Mark
KI7WX