[TowerTalk] problems with 10m COMTEK 4 sq unit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] problems with 10m COMTEK 4 sq unit
From: tduffy@sygnet.com (Tim Duffy)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:11:40 -0600
I have used 4 square vertical arrays on many bands to augment our multi
receiving
station capabilities. As reported by other stations, the polarization isolation
and small size lends itself very well to this application. The instant direction
switching is a big bonus. We do not transmit into the arrays used above 3.5 MHz.
They are receive only.

I have Comtek 4 square boxes for all 6 HF contest bands. They work very well and
I have not experienced any trouble getting ground mounted quarter wave verticals
with ground mounted radial systems to work. The supplied directions are very
specific on how to accomplish this.

I have measured the Comtek coupler performance on my HP 8752A Network Analyzer
and have found the units to meet all theoretical design criteria.

The current Comtek manual provides many pages of ideas for building successful 4
square arrays.

73,
Tim K3LR