[TowerTalk] Paint

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Paint
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:48:51 +1200
The question of paints to protect metal comes up from time to time on this
reflector.

Have not seen previous reference to the products of POR-15 Inc. which I
believe is a US company.

Have no other info on origins, but was put on to their products by classic
car restorers here in ZL.

There is Metal Ready pre primer which works on steel, galv steel and
aluminium. Only need to remove scale or flakes, no need to wash with vinegar
or whatever when using this stuff.

POR-15 is the protective paint. Manufacturer claims  (and it looks like the
truth) that it seals moisture away from metal with a rock hard finish that
won't crack, chip, or peel. It is strengthened by exposure to moisture, is
not affected by salt spray. gasoline or oil and is totally acid resistant.
Used as undercoat. (of which more later).

My story is that I live right on the coast at 90m elevation. Clean steel
tools etc get a light coating of rust almost as soon as brought on site.

Over 5 years ago I was given 40ft of galv pipe mast ex TV mast. It had been
left on the ground for years and was rusted to the extent that there were
light flakes on the worst parts. I wire brushed it and welded on some steps
and some cheek pieces so I could hinge the base on a pin. (No. I did not try
to walk it up, used a block and tackle on the peak of the house roof where
it stood). Of course the welding removed the galvanising in the vicinity of
the weld.

Used the metal ready then one coat of POR-15. Result: mast was taken down
last year. No sign of rust even on the steps where there would have been
significant wear. There is some sign of flaking right on the hinge at the
bottom where the whole weight of mast, rotator, beam and guy loads was
exerted.

Long after the mast was up I read that the product was not rated for UV and
a top coat was required. I never put on a top coat. ZL has one of the
highest UV radiation figures in the world (let me show you my melanoma
scars) yet the POR-15 nearly six years on shows no sign of failure.

It sticks really well on aluminium after pre-prep, too.

Be careful, if you get it on your skin it is there until it wears off!

I have no connection with the company, just a very satisfied user.

73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
Signal Hill Homestay
66 Cory Road
Palm Beach
Waiheke Island 1240
NEW ZEALAND
www.waiheke.co.nz/signal.htm

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----