[TowerTalk] GM Hazer with guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GM Hazer with guys
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:02:05 +0000
Kevin,

Are you sure they were not talking about 50' GM towers?  Their
standard 18" face designs are freestanding to 50' and use only one set
of guys for a 15 square foot load at 85mph.  Guys for these towers are
only T1200 kevlar at a pretension of only 120 pounds.  Not much guying
is required even at full load.  Of course one pays for it with a
considerably bigger concrete base.

As for the hazard of climbing HAZER equipped rohn 25 towers to hook
and unhook guys:

When I do it, the top set of guys are on and tensioned properly.  The
tower does not feel flimsy when climbing to the 30' required to
release/attach guys.  In my case the second set of guys are at 65'.
The tower is 70' total.  The concern I had what the possibility of
this length of tower buckling. A PE convinced me that as long as I
didn't do something like have the top guys pretensioned to many
thousands of pounds each, it wasn't a real problem.

If you have a real concern, there are attach points on the bottom of
the HAZER for the attachment of temporary guys while doing this.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Kevin Hemsley wrote:

> [...]
> Wanted to drive a 204BA at the top.  Very difficult!
>
> With the top guys attached above the Hazer, here is the lowering process I
> use:
>
> 1) Release two of the three top guys at the anchor end.  One guy doesn't
> have to be dropped.
>
> 2) Lower the Hazer to just above the middle set.
>
> 3) Re-attach the top guys and tension them.
>
> 4) Climb the tower and drop the middle set (all 3)
>
> 5) Climb down and lower the Hazer.
>
> 6) Raise Hazer above the lower attach points
>
> 7) Climb up and  Re attach and re-tension the middle guys.
>
> 8) Climb down, release two of the 3 top guys
>
> 9) Crank the Hazer all the way up, reattach and retension each of the guys.

> Earl W7TK wrote:
>
> Hi I had 100 ft Rohn 45 with a Hazer track from top to bottom. Guys, all
> Kevlar at 33 66 and 99 ft. Attached to buried cement logs at 80 ft out.
>
> Wanted to drive a 204BA at the top.  Very difficult!
>
> You can snap whip around the beam  the two bottom guys you loosen to be
> unconnected. Raise the Hazer over the guy point and reconnect 33 ft
> guys. The next set of guys when unconnected  took innumerable attempts to
> whip the around the beam. Raise the Hazer reconnect 66 ft guys.No way,
> No how could I snap whip the top two guys at 99 ft..   Plan B. This included
> turning the beam by rotator to get the best slip by angle.
> There is quite a bit of angular play possible.
>
> Plan B was to run a full 200 ft loop of good slippery rope over each end of
> the boom so I could pull up the guy and over the boom.  Worked
> snazzy.  BUT when I wished to take the dingus down again I had to rely on
> the boom pushing the guy toward the tower and fundamentally that
> left two set of guys unconnected when the beam on the Hazer was at 33 feet.
> Needs promise of absolute calm day or you will find a Plan C.
>
> My Plan C was to sell the whole shooting match and buy a 72 ft UST crank
> down with electric motor.
>
> I was impressed by the workmanship from Glen Martin and their Hazer.  I
> should have listened closer while they tried to dissuade me from going
> to 100 ft. I know now why they like 70 ft! I think Kevlar is the cats
> whiskers albeit pricey.  That was the first item that sold off!.
>
> I still have the 204BA but put a Tennadyne T10 LPA at mebbe 85 feet. I'm
> happy with that.  The Tennadyne seems to like heights above 50 ft
> best. It has ridden through some nasty winds this year.
>
> ===========================
>
> Thanks,
>                 Kevin
> Kevin Hemsley
> Systems Engineer
> Microserv Computer Technologies, Inc.
> kev@ida.net
> KB7TYA
>
> List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
> with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention