[TowerTalk] GM Hazer with guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GM Hazer with guys
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:36:53 -0500
>     For once, I totally agree with Stan. I would NEVER suggest anyone drop
> the tower guy wires no matter WHAT you're doing. That's (one of) my
complaint
> with the Hazer.
>
>     While I haven't specifically heard of any Hazer accidents, IMO it's a
> miracle no one has been killed or injured with the Hazer system. Anyone
got
> any horror stories?

Let's separate out the 2 kinds of hazer configs - The one made for Rohn
towers and the one made to use with GME towers that travel on the tracks.
Surely there aren't horror stories for the latter configuration if installed
and used as instructed.  The 50 footer has just the one set of guys, and the
70 footer has 2 sets.  The tracks overlap the tower sections, which adds
considerable strngth.  GME only recommends unhooking one set of guys at a
time and reattaching after the antenna(s) pass the guy points.  In my
experience, there was no hint of instability - no swaying etc.  Even if the
cable broke, the cams would stop the hazer in its tracks.  The safest part
is no climbing with this tower, even to undo the guys - They are
disconnected at ground level and can be brought around the antennas such
that the whole thing can be lowered easily.  It's expensive compared with
some options, but works very nicely as advertised.

The one for Rohn looks more difficult to use and be safe with.  73

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----