[TowerTalk] Removing Oil from a Motor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Removing Oil from a Motor
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:02:32 -0500
A very dangerous thing, for sure. I used to be a ship repair superintendent
at a Navy shipyard, and we had to flush referigerant lines with Freon xx
(don't remember the number) after assembly. Don't know the chemical
ramifications, but the standard warnings were that Freon is heavier than
air, and will completely displace oxygen at the lowest level per Mr.
Gravity, quickly suffocating it's victims. It's difficult to "expel" if you
breathe it, too, they say. We had to clear all people from tanks and lower
voids when using freon flushes, plus had to do a whole bunch of air tests in
all the lower compartments when we were done. Scary stuff. Never liked being
around it.
73, Jerry