[TowerTalk] Wood posts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wood posts
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:40:59 -0400
At 08:58 AM 7/26/01 -0400, W8JI wrote:

>I'm planning on using pressure treated 2x4's to support some
>Beverages. I'll just poke some holes in the ground with my tractor's
>post hole digger attachment, and drop the 2x4's in.
>
>Does anyone have any tips on making the wood last longer, or will
>it be OK in direct contact with soil?? Will it last ten years or so?

Can't say for sure about your soil, but I recently pulled some 4X4 PT (CCA)
fence posts that had been in the ground here for 8-9 years, and they showed
no visible deterioration.  I understand that some PT wood now uses a
non-CCA treatment, and I don't know if it is comparably durable.

A much more serious problem is what happens above ground.  I have had some
8' 4X4s that warped over almost a 30 degree arc in 6 months.  There seems
to be a correlation between the presence of knots and the propensity to
warp, perhaps because of differential absorption of the waterproofing
compound.

73, Pete N4ZR

-----