[TowerTalk] Wood posts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wood posts
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:57:09 -0400
On 7/26/01 8:58 AM, Tom Rauch at w8ji@akorn.net wrote:

>I'm planning on using pressure treated 2x4's to support some
>Beverages. I'll just poke some holes in the ground with my tractor's
>post hole digger attachment, and drop the 2x4's in.
>
>Does anyone have any tips on making the wood last longer, or will
>it be OK in direct contact with soil?? Will it last ten years or so?

Depends. Where I used to live in Stone Mountain, the termites were so
thick that they ate away a pressure-treated mailbox post in 4 years.

I suggest you encase the 2x4 in a couple of bags of concrete. That will
tend to keep the bugs away, and the support will last longer.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

-----