[TowerTalk] Wood posts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wood posts
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:02:25 -0500
Hi Tom,

Where I'm at (central OK), pressure treated 4x4 fence posts are good for at
least 10-12 years IF I slop on some good old asphalt roofing tar about 6"
above and below ground level before setting them. Haven't tried 2x4's but
should be the same. For whatever reason, wood deeper than 6-8" seems to last
ok, but the first 6" of soil (maybe because it gets "wet" more often?) seems
to rot much faster if not coated, and untarred posts break off at ground
level after only a few years. A "collar" of quickcrete seems to provide the
same protection if that's easier, and adds a lot of stability, but is still
easy to jerk out with the tractor if you ever need to.

I've often wondered if galvanized chain link fence posts using electric
fence standoff insulators wouldn't be a better longterm and cheaper solution
for beverages, but I've never built a beverage, so who knows...
73, Jerry W5KP