[TowerTalk] Hardline to F connector

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hardline to F connector
From: W9UI@SprintMail.com (Bob & Traudel Eslaire)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:45:51 -0400
Try Mendelsons in Dayton OH (www.mendelsons.com).

Bob, W9UI.

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-towertalk@contesting.com [mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of alsopb
Sent:   Wednesday, August 08, 2001 16:37 PM
To:     W8JI@contesting.com; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject:        Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline to F connector

Tom,

I took the figures out of the 1993 ARRL handbook.  They are for solid
dielectric RG11.  Foam is no doubt better.  I believe your numbers.

I keep hearing "are available".  Where are the 3/4" hardline F
connectors available?  I've seen mostly crimp stuff for F connectors
anyhow.  I suspect the crimp tool will cost more than the whole
project.  Something that can be put on without a crimp tool is really
needed.

I guess it's time to call in the CATV guys to fix the ruts they left
in the lawn last year and didn't fix!  Interesting that they spent $$$
running new cable under ground to a terminal post half way up my
driveway. They left the old stuff in the ground.  We never have had
CATV and never will.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Tom Rauch wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I'm not sure where you got your numbers from, but.....
>
> > I'm fed up with using crummy RG59 to feed TV antenna. RG11 turns out
> > to be even more lossy for the UHF channels.  I have enough 1/2" or
>
> At 700 MHz
>
> RG-59 (F59) cable from CommScope:6.42dB per 100'
> RG-6 (F6) from CommScope: 5.6 dB per 100'
> RG-11 (F11) from CommScope: 3.67 per 100'
> 750 Hardline from CommScope: 1.48dB per 100ft
>
> Never use cable with a woven braid towards the center conductor at
> UHF, use a foil lined cable! Woven braid cable can be very poor at
> UHF, if the braid is against the inner dielectric without a smooth foil
> lining!
>
> > 3/4" CATV hardline to make the run.  However, it appears to be a
> > challange to mate it with the type F connectors on the antenna preamp and
> > TV.  I suppose a short length of RG59 on both ends would be OK.
>
> .750 hardline to F connector fittings are readily available. I use
> them in all my 160-meter antenna trunk cables. I sure wouldn't use
> a makeshift fitting at UHF, especially for video.
>
> Treat a CATV line crew guy to a free lunch, or buy him a six-pack
> of beer.
>
> What I do is run an amplifier at the antenna.Then I can use small
> cable, like F-11,  to the house.
>

> > Any suggestions?  How do the cable guys do this?  It seems like I
> > stand a chance of loosing most of what can be gained by poor adapters.
> >
> > 73 de Brian/K3KO
> >
> > List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> > Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
> > supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!
> > http://www.anwireless.com
> >
> > -----
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
> >

> 73, Tom W8JI