[TowerTalk] Buried Conduit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried Conduit
From: bradrehm@texas.net (Brad Rehm)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 01:41:37 -0500
Dan,

I'm using that plastic rain gutter conduit on my installation at the new
QTH.  Mine lies on top of the ground because the soil here is so rocky.  If
I could have buried it without renting a backhoe, I would have.

For surface installations like mine, I'd suggest the slotted kind, which
allows moisture to evaporate directly from the conduit.  For burial, the
solid variety is the way to go.  Follow the advice I've seen on the
reflector about using a substantial pull rope.  The corrugations could get
you in trouble.  Also, stuff some rags in the ends to keep varmints from
getting inside and chewing up the coax for nest-building materials.

I'm very pleased with the conduit.  Much less expensive than the PVC I've
used in the past, but it's roomy and durable.

73,
Brad, KV5V
Jarrell, Texas