[TowerTalk] Buried Conduit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried Conduit
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:06:46 -0400
Dan:

     I'm in the middle of a tower project myself and am now at the conduit
installation phase.  I debated the use of corrugated drainage pipe vs real
electrical conduit and decided, for the short length involved here (50 feet)
I'd spring for the conduit.

     I selected Carlon Sched 40 PVC three inches in diameter.  There are
several diameters available.  You can buy all manner of accessory pieces for
it.  For turning corners they make sweeps - gently-curved pieces of 22.5,
45, 90 degrees that have a curved radius of 24 inches (18 inch radius is
available special order.)  This makes pulling easier.

     My entire conduit bill, including sweeps, couplings, and box fittings
(for terminating the plastic inside metallic boxes at either end) ran me $78
or so.  (Even in the D.C. area that's pretty cheap.)  This way I won't have
the corrugations to snag on my pulling rope/cable ends.  It also will be
able to handle more abuse underground than thin drainage pipe.  I'll have to
drill some drain holes at the low spots in the conduit run (near the shack
and at the base of the tower).  The conduit isn't hermetically sealed and
water WILL infiltrate the system.

GL and 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F