[TowerTalk] Ladder Line and Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line and Coax
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:42:18 -0600
Have you looked at the pattern of a 40M dipole on 20, 15, 10?

On 20M it is 2 half waves in phase which gives a figure 8 pattern
broadside to the wire with a beamwidth of around 50 degrees. Feed
impedance is several thousand ohms at resonance.

On 15M it is a current fed 3/2 WL Long Wire with the main lobes
about 30-35 degrees from the wire and a lesser and much more
narrow lobe (~10 degrees) broadside to the wire.

On 10M it is 2 Full Wave Length Long Wires in phase with 4 lobes
centered around 30 degrees from the wire and a deep NULL broadside
to the wire.

These patterns ASSUME the dipole is HORIZONTAL, not an inverted vee.

Not exactly the 4 band wonder to cover the SOUTH you are looking for.

Have you considered a nice trap dipole that you could mount on a
tower leg and would give you a figure 8 pattern on all 4 bands?
Check out the Cushcraft D4.

Tom  N4KG