[TowerTalk] Ladder Line and Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line and Coax
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 01:56:54 -0400

The main  problem with bringing ladder line or any open wire line into the
shack lies with what I call the "hot shack" syndrome.
With  more than one 160 meter antenna the shack was full of hot RF and
plenty of RF feedback.   This also gets into the telephones
radios, and even TVs that are not on cable.   Even using a tuner with a
balun can cause a problem.

This is another form of fundamental overload.  The cure is to remove the
ladder line from the shack (by as many feet as possible).  I found that
using a remote balun (does not matter what values..) just outside the shack
window still causes problems although far less severe than bring ladder line
directly into the shack.  A better approach is to move the remote balun to
40 feet or more from the shack.   I did this with a big L I had up several
years ago and the amount of RF in the shack was minimal.

73 Dave K4JRB

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----