[TowerTalk] Protecting connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protecting connectors
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:48:19 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/01 9:15:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, k1ttt@arrl.net
writes:

> the simplest way i have found is to just buy the cheap duct seal (the not so
>  sticky stuff that comes in 1# blocks) and mold that around the connector,
> then cover with a layer or two of electrical tape.  the tape squeezes the
duct
> seal into the connector and protects it from the elements.

    What you're describing is using a material as a vapor barrier. In
commercial antenna installations, they use a vapor wrap material which is
typically butyl rubber. The professional kind (i.e. db products) will peel
off whereas the amateur kind (CoaxSeal) won't. While I'm sure some plumbing
and construction materials will work, I prefer to use the right tool for the
job.

    It's not that I hate CoaxSeal (I do) but it's the way hams use it. DO NOT
apply it directly to a connector - it won't come off and the connector
becomes just about unuseable if removed.

    I'm also not a fan of applying silicon grease to flood a connector joint
(it's messy and very slippery when you get it on your hands and/or gloves -
great for tower climbing - hi) but some professionals do use it. If you don a
PRO job of weatherproofing your joint, there's just about no chance of
moisture incursion. Here's how you do it:

1) Use only Scotch 33 or 88 tape.

2)  Tighten connectors with pliers. Do not deform the connectors and use
gentle pressure to tighten. You want it secure more than hand-tight without
damaging it.

3)  Apply 2 layers of tape overlapping by 50%.

4) Apply vapor wrap over tape.

5)  Apply 2 more layers of tape minimum.

6)  If the cable is vertical, the last layer of tape needs to go UP the
cable. This makes an overlap like shingles on your roof so water runs off
harmlessly. If the tape goes down, it doesn't.

7)  When applying the final several inches of tape, make a clean cut or tear
of the tape without stretching it and then let the tape relax before before
pushing it down.

    This'll give you a bombproof joint and you haven't used any silicon
grease.

Cheers,    Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,