[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 22:46:04 -0400
There is more to the end-fed wire:

I'm personally talking about a 133' wire, that goes up 60-70 feet, and
then out for the rest.

On 160 you feed it direct. As many radials as you can get away with. (I
had one wire like this, only managed to get down 5 radials. I still
worked 500+ contacts in one 160 meter cw contest on it. Worked all
continents on 160 with it, including JA, VK, ZL, CE0.)

On 80/40/30 meters you feed it with a 3:1 turns ratio powdered iron
torroid transformer to reduce the impedance to something more in the
range of the coax. Use 80-85 feet of (.66 VF) coax to the base and use a
tuner in the house.

Patterns:

160 a flattened hemisphere with a slight bulge in direction of the knee
of the antenna. Good low angle for DX and moderate sky wave for local.
Good for 160 contests.

80 a hemisphere, good for DX and local. Covers entire band since you
need the tuner anyway. 75 & 80 are just different settings.

40 behaves as if the flat section was hung and fed like a dipole at that
height. Not intuitive, but the radiation off the vertical part cancels
out.

30 has a more or less omni-directional lowish angle pattern, with
miscellaneous extra lobes.

I used 1500 watts, an Ameritron ATR-30 tuner (hefty), and the torroid
was triple wrapped in teflon plumber's wrap, and teflon wrapped
windings. Never arced over. The tuner was not needed on 30 or the low
end of 40 (just lucky), but was needed for 160 and 80. There was
switching required at the antenna base to switch the torroid in and out.
I also switched in a series 1500 pf cap on 160 (three transmitting
doorknob 500's in parallel) to help ease the match in the shack.

I bent the wire horizontal and ran SE so the horizontal part of the
antenna was broad-side NE/SW for 40 meter DX.

Lotsa yardage out of one piece of wire.  Add a C3SS (or tri-band device
of choice) on a light tower & rotator (or better if you can swing it),
and you can have a lot of fun all bands 160-10.

73

Guy Olinger, K2AV
Apex, NC, USA