[TowerTalk] Poly phaser protectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Poly phaser protectors
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:01:43 -0500
Paul makes an excellent point, which I neglected to mention. Phone line
surge protectors will all attenuate the DSL signal, some more than others.
If you have a good DSL signal at your house you'll never notice the
attenuation because you have lots of "headroom" to start with. If your
signal's noise margin is fairly low to start with (say down around 10 to14
db because you're way out there on the end of a cable pair) it can make your
DSL modem drop sync. Be sure you can take it back if it doesn't fly, and try
another type. I don't know of a way right now to sort out which
brands/models will work with DSL without using the "buy and try" method
unless you own a SunSet xDSL tester, which you don't unless you do this
stuff on a daily basis. Worth noting is if you install a device like this
and it proves to be the cause of trouble on a service call (which does
happen), you can be billed big bucks for the service call, even if your DSL
equipment is othwise still under warranty.
73, Jerry