[TowerTalk] Rotator Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator Problem
From: k4to@meginc.com (Dave Sublette)
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 12:18:22 -0500
Jamie, et. al.,

If you have any connectors in line with the control cable...as I do to
quick disconnect in case of lightning... check to see that the contacts
are all making contact. I have had these symptoms when my jones plug was
not making good connection.

2) the in line connector at the top of my tower went bad, same
symptoms...I had to cut it out and splice the cable.

3) Sometimes you just have to reset factory default values and reprogram
the box.

4) always note which way the antenna is actually pointing and  compare
it to what the readout says....you may just have to go to mode 3 and set
the actual heading if it is close.

5) check the wires at the rear connector on the box...once I found one
of mine had "mysteriously" come off.  I later recalled I had been
troubleshooting and had forgotten to replace it. As my favorite
philosopher, Pogo, once said, " We have met the enemy and he is us."

It's a great rotator...don't know what I would do without mine.

73,

Dave, K4TO

James C. Hall, M.D. wrote:

>Hello:
>
>A gremlin decided to interfere in my DX chasing last night. I have an Orion
>2800 rotator and all was working well when I noticed that as I depressed the
>CCW button the numbers would rapidly decend for about 5 degrees and then
>peter out and then stop - long before the destination heading.  I had not
>taken my finger off of the button.  This forced me to re-depress the CCW
>button and the same thing happened.  Using the CW button was all normal -
>ramp up to speed and then ramp down to target heading. I have not fooled
>around with anything else on the box.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Jamie
>WB4YDL
>

>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
>-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----