[TowerTalk] Non-Resonant Guy Lengths?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Non-Resonant Guy Lengths?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:09:18 -0500
At 07:39 AM 12/6/01 -0500, Dave Sublette wrote:
...>>I use Phillystran on my 200 foot rotating Rohn 55. I have seven yagis
for 6 thru 40 meters on it. The longest lengths are 250 feet. I haven't
noticed any stretching...although there may be some momentary flexing in
the wind. I can't stretch it by hand and the tower seems to have no
problems. The other thing that I like about Phillystran is its weight. I
can carry a 250 foot length coiled over my shoulder and carry it around the
antenna field Of course I wouldn't climb with it for safety reasons, but I
could because it's so light. I couldn't handle a steel guy of that length
do to weight.

What Dave says about the advantages of Philly is true.  It does, however,
stretch for any applied tension about twice as much as steel, and in some
extreme circumstances this could be important.  There's an excellent
discussion of this on K7NV's Yagistress web site.

73, Pete N4ZR
www.qsl.net/n4zr

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----