[TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability
From: n2tk@earthlink.net (N2TK)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:48:48 -0500
If I look at a cross section of 9913 and RG213 I see the same thing - space.
I grant you that the space is a lot bigger with the 9913. However, what is
there in RG-213 to prevent the same moisture from getting to the shield on
RG-213? The braid on 213 isn't sealed or in a vacuum. If you have moisture
ingression in 213, the shield discolors. Doesn't the same rule apply to both
types of cable - seal it well and moisture won't get in?
I have seen both 9913 and 213 that was discolored due to moisture and I have
seen both look like new after several years. It would seem the water issue
is a problem for either cable.
Here in New York it gets hot, cold, rainy and dry too.
Over the years I have used nothing but 3M super 33+ with great success
keeping the connectors and coax nice and shiny.

73,
Tony