[TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:18:36 -0500
W9AC wrote:

>> Think of all those people at broadcast and CATV installations who
>> pressurize their air core cables, when all they need to do is seal
>> them!

>Tom, W8JI is right here.  All air dielectric cables require pressurization.
>I cannot imagine any broadcast installation relying on the quality of the
>connector installation in order to keep moisture from entering the line.

Paul, no one suggested that the connector be relied on. A backup system
must always be provided. That backup can be pressurization, when connectors
with air inlets are provided; or commercial style weatherproofing. K7LXC
has described commercial style weatherproofing many times. It is very
effective, even more effective than the cable jacket itself.

>I suspect that 9913 was intended only for controlled, indoor environments.
>I would be somewhat surprised if Belden rates this cable in an outdoor
>environment, regardless of the weatherproofing method.

You would be wrong about that. Ask Belden.

Steve K8LX

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----