[TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:53:55 -0500
W8JI wrote:

>Anyone who has worked with CATV or BC air dielectric cables
>KNOWS how well the connectors are constructed. They have "O"
>ring seals, carefully mated and machined surfaces, and solid metal
>outer walls covered with a good coating.
>
>Contrast that to a hunk of stuff like 9913. Take its thin cheap jacket
>and air seal, stuff it into an ill-fitting PL-259, and hang it outside
>around a rotor loop, down a tower leg and goop and tape the ends
>to not only water seal it, but to air seal it.
>
>Then think how CATV systems abandoned air cables as soon as
>they could, and think back at all those nitrogen tanks along the
>cables! A broadcaster would never dream of using airline without
>pressure, and they have good connectors that usually can hold a
>few pound of pressure for weeks or months!

<snip>

Of course.

I've never liked 9913 - am not defending it - never bought any -
never will. I hope that's clear.

However, whenever I see someone claim or imply that weatherproofing
a splice is impossible or some sort of black magic, I picture someone
who was never taught one of the basic radio skills. I see someone
wrapping a little electrical tape, having it leak, and then assuming
that taping just doesn't work.

There are MANY reasons that broadcasters are wise to use the materials
that they do. None of them prove that it's impossible to seal a connector.

Steve K8LX

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----