[TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 23:34:58 -0800
Stephanie: Think of your antenna as a dipole with the tower being one
half of it. The tower is not a ground plane.You can expect to have to
experimentally change the length of the wire to get a low SWR. In one
antenna I built like yours, I had to make a 20 ft change in the wire
length to reach resonance on 160m. You may have a problem using a MFJ
259 type meter to measure SWR because of BC station pickup. If you see
no SWR dip at any frequency, that is probably the reason.Use your rig on
low power as a signal source. 73, Dan, N5AR