[Towertalk] 75 ohm CATV hardline/weathering

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 75 ohm CATV hardline/weathering
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:45:43 -0500
At 10:29 PM 3/21/02 -0500, Dan wrote:
>Hi Pete,
>
>What did you find out?  No one copied the reflector on responses, and I'm
>curious too.  I have about 100' of 1/2" that I haven't used because it was
>stored outside.  I've always intended to try to measure the loss through it,
>but just haven't found that "round-tuit"....

Basically, everyone said that you can just trim back a little and go with
it.  K1VR suggested 1 foot per year stored outside, while others said just
to look at the end and trim till everything looks clean and bright.  We're
talking about hardline with a solid center conductor -- I don't know
whether what you have is solid or stranded, which could make some
difference because of wicking through the stranded wire.  A couple
suggested testing the cable on the spool, but that doesn't look very
feasible in this case.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at