[Towertalk] Re: taping your joint - Thanks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: taping your joint - Thanks
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 13:12:56 EST
k4oj@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> so, you are saying that a wrap of tape coated with Scotchkote to seal it
>  followed by a UV shielding protective wrap of 88 is overkill, now?

    Umm...not exactly. ScotchKote is a coating designed for *buried* joints
and it'll dry and flake off over time so I don't recommend its use as a
top-coat either.

    Electrical tape and vapor wrap are the two primary materials I recommend
for electrical joint weatherproofing. You can use them in any order you want
AS LONG AS YOU DON'T PUT COAXSEAL DIRECTLY ON ANY CONNECTORS! Commercial
vapor wrap OTOH can be applied right on connectors because, unlike CoaxSeal,
it CAN be removed.

    My previous comments had to do with the apparent unsuitability of Liquid
Electrical Tape as a top coating; likewise with ScotchKote. So I'm suggesting
that using a top layer of tape is as good as anything and better than most
other materials.

    Some commercial installers use clear acrylic spray paint as a top
coating. I don't have any longterm outdoor experience with it but it might be
worth a try.

    You run the White Clan Outdoor Destruction Lab with your Florida station
- what's your experience.

    And thank you for asking about taping my joint.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for industry and amateurs