[Towertalk] Grounding mast to tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grounding mast to tower
From: k1ky@bellsouth.net (Tom Delker)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:58:55 -0600
I measured them on the ground with "some" weight applied. Of course the best
paths to
ground will most probably be the feedlines, thus the most important thing that
can be
done is to tie the shields of the feedlines to the ground at the base of the
tower,
and it may not be a bad idea to tie them to the tower near the top as we do in
commercial repeater antenna installations. I have seen too many times where a
"barrel" connection at the top of the tower has arced over to the tower, blown
away
the tape and then let water into the connection, leading to imminent failure of
the
connection.

I agree with Steve that the stranded wire presents some problems, but there are
ways
to minimize the weathering effects and to make a good solid connection.  My
thoughts
on this are that "something" may be better than nothing.

--
Thomas M. Delker - K1KY CFO#395 - Smyrna, TN