[Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 06:46:40 -0600
Hank,

PROPERLY  GUYED  TOWERS  have proven to be very safe,
surviving winds of 100+ MPH.  Empirical evidence of tornado
and huricane tower survivals may support your case.  ALL 7
of my towers survived a small tornado, including the 130 ft tower
whose guys held up two 70 ft trees that had fallen on them.

You delude yourself if you seriously believe that amateur towers
(mostly Rohn 25 and 45) COLLAPSE when they fail.  In a private
response I provided numerous empirical examples of towers that
fell out to their FULL HEIGHT, mostly due to human error or
defective guying hardware. I understand the motivation to avoid
overly restrictive setbacks but burying your head in the sand
to the FACT that MANY amateur tower fairures fall their entire
length does not seem like a good approach.

I am not aware of any studies of AMATEUR  RADIO TOWER
Failures and I have NEVER heard of a guyed amateur radio
tower collapsing on itself.

That phenomenon happens to VERY LARGE, VERY TALL,
VERY HEAVY  Commercial TV Broadcast Towers, not 120 ft or
less Rohn Towers.  If your are going to be honest, compare apples
to apples, but don't try to pull the wool over the eyes of your local
officials by 'assuming' that amateur towers will collapse some
percentage of their height because that is what happens to
1000 ft TV towers.

Tom  N4KG